How to become a Security Guard in the UK

Before you can apply for a front line SIA license you will need to train for a ‘licence-linked’ qualification. This is so to ensue that you have the skills and knowledge you need to hold a licence and be able to do your job safely.

You do not need a licence-linked qualification to get a non-front line or key holding license. 

Once you have successfully got the qualification you need for a front line licence, the awarding organisation will advise Gov.UK.

If you are applying for a licence for the first time, you must have got your qualification within the last 3 years. If you are applying for a licence you’ve held before, you will need to get a new qualification if it is longer than 3 years since your old licence was active.

You must get your training from an approved training provider. These are providers that have been approved by awarding organisations that offer SIA-licence-linked qualifications.

There are many different qualifications that you might want to apply for. Each one depends on what type of security field you would like to work in. Examples are:

  • Cash and valuables in transit licence
  • Close protection licence
  • Door supervisor licence
  • Public space surveillance (CCTV) licence
  • Security guarding licence
  • Vehicle immobilising licence

More information about licence-linked qualifications, the awarding organisations that offer these qualifications and how to find an approved training provider can he found here:  

Knight and Day Security Limited offer the most robust and comprehensive Commercial Property Inspection and Security services in the UK. Please call us now on 0800 009 6977 for a no obligation quote.